The knowledge of various experts was included in the selection of the plant species.
- Related to sour grass family, Cyperaceae
- Stem 20-50 cm tall, triangular at the top.
- Leaves bristly
- Upper leaf sheath without blade, clearly inflated
- Spikes solitary, terminal, erect, ovate
- Bracts enclose the spike
- Bracts black below, turning silvery-white above
- perigone bristles changing into long threads after flowering, becoming a white woolly tufts
- Fruit yellow-brown, 2-3mm long
- Flowering time: April – May
- Habitat: Peat bogs, montane-subalpine
- Distribution: Eurosiberian-North American, colline – alpine
- Endangerment and protection measures
- Red List (Switzerland): Near threatened (NT)
Source: Flora Helvetica 5th edition, Info Flora